Late Heartbreak for Hampton and Richmond in the FA Trophy

By Joe Acklam

21st Nov 2022 | Football

Hampton and Richmond were knocked out of the FA Trophy in the last minute. Photo: Colin Smith.
Hampton and Richmond were knocked out of the FA Trophy in the last minute. Photo: Colin Smith.

Hampton and Richmond Borough lost at the death in the FA Trophy as Farnborough managed to progress at the Rocket Hospitality Beveree Stadium. 

It was an even clash between two National League South sides, with chances at both ends but it seemed like neither side would be able to find the breakthrough. 

With the tie hurtling towards a replay Hisham Kasimu popped up at the back post to snatch it at the death for the Yellows. 

Defeat sends the Beavers out of the FA Trophy at the second-round stage and without a win in the competition this season. 

It was a slow start to proceedings and the first chance of note was following a half-cleared corner and the ball was floated into the middle and flicked on by Tommy Wood to Luis Fernandez, who was lingering at the back post, but his effort flew over the Keith Hussey stand. 

Farnborough could have opened the scoring as Kasimu held the ball up well, found space and rolled the ball through for Michael Fernandes and as he was about to shoot Dean Inman came steaming across to make the block. 

Francis Amartey had a huge chance on 37 minutes after Jake Gray picked up the ball on the halfway line and drove through Farnborough's half, before sliding in the 23-year-old down the side of the box only for his finish to roll just beyond the far post. 

It could have been a disaster for Hampton as Adam Leathers woefully under hit a back pass to send Fernandes through one-on-one and he lifted his shot over Salamon, but also over the bar. 

Mid-way through the second half Jake Gray got down the side of Farnborough and flashed a ball across the face of goal, but just too far ahead of Alfy Whittingham for him to have the easiest of tap ins. 

Salamon made a huge save to keep the Beavers level as Kevin Lokko met a cross and his header into the ground was flicked against the crossbar by the lightning-fast reactions of the Hampton goalkeeper before Lokko was flagged offside. 

With ten minutes remaining Stefan Ilic used his quick feet to create a yard of space on the right and clipped in a cross onto the head of Liam Vincent, but he couldn't get a clean contact on the ball to divert it into the net. 

Then at the death Farnborough found the breakthrough, Freddie Grant received the ball in the box and chipped the ball right onto the head of the unmarked Kasimu who headed home from four yards out. 

As Hampton pushed for an equaliser Johnathon Page picked up a loose ball and ran the length of the pitch, skipping past Matteo Salamon, who had gone up for a corner, but Hampton managed to get enough players back to crowd Page out as he entered the box. 


Related Articles

Hampton and Richmond have lost their last two. Photo: Ben Kerckx from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hampton and Richmond finish their season against play-off bound Dartford

Concord Rangers are in desperate need of a win in their quest for survival. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hampton and Richmond face relegation threatened Concord

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Richmond with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.