Two second half goals route Hampton and Richmond's FA Cup run

By Joe Acklam

19th Oct 2022 | Football

Torquay scored twice after half-time to knock Hampton and Richmond out of the FA Cup. Photo: Football Pink.
Torquay scored twice after half-time to knock Hampton and Richmond out of the FA Cup. Photo: Football Pink.

A pair of second half goals dash Hampton and Richmond's FA Cup dreams as they lost their Fourth Qualifying Round replay 2-1 against Torquay United. 

Tommy Wood scored late in the first half and Hampton were halfway to beating out their National League opposition. 

But, Dean Moxey scored early in the second half and Aaron Jarvis completed the turnaround for the Gulls and they managed to hold onto their lead. 

The loss sends the Beavers out of the FA Cup and denies them the plum home tie in the First Round with Derby County. 

Ade Shokunbi could have been in on 24 minutes following a sloppy Torquay header but his touch let him down but Hampton were able to recycle possession and Alfy Whittingham teed up Liam Vincent who forced a save out of Rhys Lovett. 

Jake Gray and Tommy Wood then linked up, playing a quick one-two to get Gray onto the edge of the penalty area and he shot just wide of the mark. 

Wood then won the ball back off the Torquay centre back and he played it back to Shokunbi who not for the first drove through the middle of the visitors' back line to get through on goal but shot over with just the 'keeper to beat. 

On 39 minutes the goal came when Alfy Whittingham made a good tackle and runs into the box and squares it for Wood to tap home and cap off an excellent first half performance from the Beavers. 

After 54 minutes it was a moment of madness from Matteo Salamon as he picked up and a back pass to give Torquay an indirect free-kick from 12 yards out and it was passed to Moxon who drilled it under the wall and in. 

Torquay had wrestled back control in the second half but were reduced to ten men on the hour mark when Dillon De Silva received a pair of bookings in quick succession, the second for a dive in the box. 

Some in the crowd thought Wood had grabbed a second as he ran in down the right of the box and shot powerfully at the near post but he hit the side netting. 

Hampton managed to clear a long throw for a corner, but they couldn't survive the second ball as the corner came in and Jarvis got up highest and headed beyond Salamon to complete the turnaround. 

13 minutes from the end Shokunbi teased his defender with a few stepovers before finding Whittingham but he could only divert his shot straight at Lovett. 

In stoppage time Lovett denied Hampton once again as Stefan Ilic pulled it back to the edge of the box to Temi Babalola and his shot was spectacularly saved. 


Related Articles

Hampton and Richmond have lost their last two. Photo: Ben Kerckx from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hampton and Richmond finish their season against play-off bound Dartford

Concord Rangers are in desperate need of a win in their quest for survival. Photo: Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Hampton and Richmond face relegation threatened Concord

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Richmond with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.